Yoga is an ancient practice and philosophy developed to maintain optimal mental and physical well being. Just like the plants and animals around us, yoga has evolved and diversified in the 5,000 plus years since people first began saluting the sun in the Indus River Valley. Today we have as many styles of yoga as we do yoga pants. While this means there is something for everyone, it can also be confusing.
At Wild Persimmon we teach Sivananda Yoga, a traditional hatha yoga with equal emphasis on the five points outlined below. Beginning and ending with long relaxation, each class includes two breathing exercises and guided meditation, in addition to exercise.
- Proper Exercise (Asanas) – Yoga poses help develop a strong, healthy body by enhancing flexibility and improving circulation.
- Proper Breathing (Pranayama) – Deep, conscious breathing reduces stress and many diseases.
- Proper Relaxation – Helps keep the body from going into overload mode, easing worry and fatigue.
- Proper Diet – Eating simple, healthy and vegetarian foods that are easy to digest notably have a positive effect on the mind and body, as well as the environment and other living beings.
- Positive Thinking (Vedanta) and Meditation (Dhyana) – These are the true keys to achieving peace of mind and eliminating negativity in our lives.